We believe Victoria can meet the challenges of the future – but only if a new mayor and council establish new principles for governing our city.
Read our priorities. Tell us if you agree. And consider joining us in developing this website, and future candidates for Victoria council.
OPEN VICTORIA’s priorities include:
- Stabilizing municipal taxation, and protecting services and grants from further cuts
- Developing long-term plans and finances to upgrade or replace existing assets such as the Crystal Pool and main library, instead of pursuing unlikely new megaprojects
- Setting clear targets for improvements in public services, and challenging City staff to do their very best for taxpayers
- Using technology to opening up City Hall decision-making to greater scrutiny and public input, especially for finances and planning
- Making Victoria a leader in environmental practices, by expanding gardens and green space, reducing car traffic and pollution, and encouraging conservation and alternative energy
- Encouraging businesses and families to stay in our city, and ensuring that downtown Victoria remains the economic and cultural heart of the capital region
- Repairing damaged relations with other levels of government, and convincing them to take on greater shares of regional responsibilities, such as housing and policing
Subscribe to our News!